Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Salmon Cake Kinda Day


It is getting to be that lazy time of summer. Things are starting to wind down a bit, and I am getting restless.
What's a girl to do?
Head straight for the Food Network channel.

That is exactly what I did a couple of days ago.
I surfed through some old recorded shows of Giada De Laurentis.
One particular episode was great. It was all about Greek food.
I snagged a couple of recipes from that show then I went to live tv.

Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals was on.
I got sucked into watching her, it isn't hard because she is so charismatic.
She was making Salmon Cakes with Agrodolce Relish and Arugula.

As a rule I am not too fond of salmon these days. I lived in Washington state for eight years,
and I ate lots of the red fish. Frankly, I got a bit burnt out on it.
But Rachel's infectious laughter, and ease in the kitchen seduced me into trying her recipe.
I wanted a new delicacy, and I thought this could be it. 

I was supposed to host another luncheon today, but my lunch date had to cancel due to illness. 
I decided I had hunted and gathered all the appropriate ingredients,
so I must trudge on, with or without my guest.

The recipe turned out to be delicious, and as easy as RR said it was. Check it out:

It definitely needs the relish, and it has a tad bit too much dill for my taste, but other than that, a delicious meal.

I followed up with a Giada delicacy, Orange-Scented Almond and Olive Oil Muffins.
This one was a big hit, and it should have been.
Who knew that Almond flour is $11.95 per pound? 
With that investment, I will not let that little bag go to waste.
I plan to make a lot more of these little cake like muffins.


I did have to cook the muffins longer, so watch yours.
Fragrant and tasty as a light dessert on a summer evening.

If you get bored, try a new recipe. I guarantee it will get you out of a rut.
I think cooking is the new creative frontier for me.
Lord knows I like to take pictures of my creations,
just ask any family member.

They tend to groan when I yell, "Hey wait! I want to get a picture of that!"

My Picasa web albums are full of single pictures of meals I have made.
They say we eat with our eyes first,
I'll buy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment